Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Becks in Town


If you are a football fan, you know straightaway who I am talking about. It's David Beckham, the football star. I am not really a big football or soccer fan. I easily get bored with how long they score, so the highlight of any game is good enough for me. And I am not a big fan of that Spice Girl turned Mrs Beckham either... what's her name?

What caught my attention was the article in The Sydney Morning Herald (26 November 2007, pages 2 and 3 of the Sport section):

"Do you know you made some kids with cancer cry this morning, David?

"Never mind jet lag from a 22-hour journey from London via China, David Beckham suddenly didn't know what day it was. "Welcome to Australia...

"Mustering an eloquence that betrayed his fatigue, and a few of his responses, Beckham told his Channel Seven assailant he hadn't seen any children he was supposed to meet at LA Galaxy's team hotel since stepping off his private jet about, oh, 12 minutes ago.

""That's one thing [ignoring fans] I would never have done, never have done and never will do. That's not me," he pleaded.

"... his manager immediately assured Channel Seven the misunderstanding would be cleared up and that Beckham was to meet the children, including 14-year old leukaemia survivor Emma Byers, at last night's Sydney FC game."

That's a very nice gesture from David Beckham and his management team. This is a guy who makes, reportedly; $1 million a week!

Now comes my "whining"... my grandson, Jaylen, who survived ALL leukaemia requested The Starlight Children's Foundation to meet the Umbilical Brothers. Not a biggie as meeting David Beckham or any footie star or even a trip to Disneyland. But apparently the Umbilical Brothers are "too busy" for almost a year now to "ignore" that request. Up to now, there's no respond and the bros are apparently "busy". Jaylen even outgrown them now and are now into other interests as all other boys his age.

I guess it's the Umbilical Brothers' loss not Jaylen's. The great thing is, Starlight is so embarrassed by all this they offered Jaylen's family a trip to the Gold Coast as early as January 2008. You see, all things happen for a reason, good reasons. I am sure Jaylen and his brothers would love that trip rather than meeting second rate comedians. I hope the Umbilical Brothers learn a thing or two from a star who makes $1 million a week!

While Beckham may not heal some kids, he will make some kids happy for the rest of their lives. Good on you David!

No comments: