Saturday, September 13, 2008

Father's Day 2008 and beer glass sizes


That's my Lowenbrau litre bier glass from the staff of The Bavarian Bier Cafe at Parramatta. It was an unexpected gift and I was thinking of buying a souvenir and this beer glass is the perfect memento.

I have a collection of beer glasses, (mostly schooner size (425 ml) or pints in other states) with logo of the establishment. This is my first litre size beer glass.

It is interesting to note that while in most countries there is only a glass of beer or a mug, Australia, New Zealand and the UK has some interesting names for different beer glass sizes.
There is the glass (or butcher, six, seven or bobby; depending on which state you are in), which is 200 ml. Then the middy (again different in most states or territory) which is 285 ml.

In an article by the University of New South Wales:

"The Australian dialect of English is remarkable for having virtually no regional variation over the entire continent. However, there's one place that regional terminology runs rampant: the Pub. You can always pick a "foreigner" because they come in and ask for a beer using the wrong glass name or the wrong brand (although the big commercial brands are pretty much national nowadays)."

By the way, my Father's Day post is here. I had a great time to say the least... thanks to Rea, my daughter; Honey who claims I am not her father and to the staff of the Bavarian Bier Cafe (a favorite place, beer and coffee!) for the beer glass.

No comments: