Monday, July 21, 2008

SYD WYD 2008: In the Eyes of the Pilgrims (Irene)

Hi Nanette,

Thanks so much for sharing your SYD WYD 2008 experience. I am so envious with you and Irene and all our brethren and sisters who were and are fortunate to experience this WYD 08 (even if are no longer "Youthful", but I am sure very youthful inside!).

Irene and workmates were at the crowd of well wishers at the parade yesterday as well. Funny, they were testing their mobile phone cameras so they can take a photo of the Pope and the Pope mobile as it passes. She said all you can see are the myriad hands with cameras and what not. When the Pope mobile whizzed thru, no one in their contingent managed to get a picture. It was that fast! I think I got a better view on the news on TV. I guess being there; the experience would be totally different....

Mar

----------------------

The Three Sisters with the Pope

Auntie Chit messaged (SMS) my wife if she wants to come to the Sunday mass of the SYD WYD 2008 at Randwick. She said she could get extra tickets as she was a "homestay" host. At first she was lukewarm to the idea, as they were not on speaking terms. I told my wife that this might be the her way of making up with her. She relented and called her back. They spoke of Auntie Chit's recent travel to the Philippines and she said it would be good for them to go to this mass. Especially since the Pope would be celebrating.

So last Sunday, together with their other sister, they met up at Central and trekked by foot to Randwick to join the more that 400,000 pilgrims. Although the walk was pleasant enough, it took them more than an hour to get there. From what my wife tells me, it seems that the whole "ordeal" was an experience she could not forget.

According to her, there was this eerie spirituality with the whole experience. A pilgrimage of sorts with her two other sisters, as if they were being egged on by their late mother: to forget past differences and hear the Pope's message in this historical ode to young Catholics. I am sure the more than 12 hours makes up for the past conflict they had. Her mother, I am so sure; is only too glad to see her three daughters on this pilgrimage!

No comments: